Emergency plumbing problems can cause major damage!
Almost every homeowner or renter has a few essential tools on hand to cope with minor plumbing emergencies. Many times, a clogged toilet or slow drain may need a little elbow grease and a plunger to work as intended. If you’re handy around the house, you can generally tackle a small repair such as changing out a worn washer or replacing a drain cover. However, bigger plumbing repair jobs need professional attention. Trying to repair some common issues such as slow drains or leaking toilets could lead to bigger problems later.
Below are some plumbing-related incidents and some suggestions on how to remediate on your own. If the suggestions do not resolve the problem quickly, you should call Veterans Plumbing immediately to have a professional technician take care of the issue.
- Gas leaks: Gas leaks are both scary and dangerous. The smell of gas in your home will cause panic from the start. While you shouldn’t wait too long to call for help, try to determine how serious the issue is. If the smell is very strong and lingers it’s time to take action. If the smell seems to dissipate quickly and does not remain you are probably fine.
- Water leaks: This can be a tricky one. Of course, if you wake up to a foot of water in your home you definitely have an emergency. Other issues can be harder to determine. Water may be leaking into areas where you can’t see it easily. Even a small leak can cause plenty of damage and waste gallons of water. Trace the source of the water as best you can. Feel walls to see if they are wet. Check your flooring, especially if you have carpeting to see how wet it is. Look all around the outside of your home for large amounts of water. Listen to see if you can hear water flowing. If you see or feel large amounts of water you have an emergency.
- No heat in your home: If your gas heating system goes on the blink, check to see if you have big problems. It could just be the breaker is turned off or the thermostat is set wrong. If you don’t see any obvious issues call for help, especially if you have children or elderly people in your home.
- Drain issues: If a sink or toilet won’t flush or drain, take steps to remedy the issue yourself. Use a plunger to try to unclog the stoppage. Drano or other chemicals can be used but be careful when you use them. They are dangerous to you and can cause issues with your pipes.
- Faucets and valves: Sometimes the threads on these will strip. There is no way for you to turn the water off. Call for help so you don’t waste too much water and cause more damage.
While water and gas leaks will probably be your biggest concerns with your plumbing, many other things can go wrong. Check for obvious fixes before calling for help, but don’t wait too long. Emergency plumbing problems are serious, and can cause serious damage, as well as possible health and hygiene problems.
For emergency plumbing services in Ft. Lauderdale, contact us today!
We are available 24/7 for your convenience. We answer every call personally! Call Veterans Plumbing any time for an emergency, inspection or to schedule routine service.
We offer our customers:
- Quality Service
- A Quick Response Time
- An Honest Diagnosis
- Reliable Service
- 24 Hours a Day & Days a Week
- Discounts to Seniors and Veterans
We look forward to serving you!